About Me

My photo
I'm a life-long New Englander, father of 4 challenging kids (I know: I'm supposed to say "wonderful", but while that'd be true, technically speaking, it'd also be misleading), and fortunate husband to my favorite wife of more than 20 years. I've got over 20 years experience breaking things as a test engineer, quality engineer, reliability engineer, and most recently (and most enjoyably) a Product Safety / EMC Compliance Engineer. In the photo, I'm on the left.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Parasites on a Dog

Yesterday I went on and on about my interpretation of Global Warming. You can read that right here, if you're so inclined. Based upon the comments that I've seen, it looks like we're a bit of a like-minded community (read: tree-hugging hippie-types) here, and that makes a bit of sense in a birds-of-a-feather way.

One of those comments sent my mind immediately to a quote that I've got stored away, and I thought I'd share. 'Cause I'm such a sharing person.

One of my new friends (Delores, whom I visit at The Feathered Nest, left this comment (this is part of her comment...she's a very insightful lady):

It does seem to me that we are having an abundance of natural disasters which I interpret as the planet trying to shake off the infestation of human parasites much as a dog tries to shake of fleas. Not a pretty picture.
~Delores (hope you don't mind me using your quote).

I've interpreted these disasters very similarly...seems like the wee orb is pretty pissed at someone.

The (older) quote that this put me in mind of is:

...The earth hath skin, and the skin hath diseases. One of these....is called man.
~Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

Fortunately for the earth, and us, there are a growing number of folks who are actually concerned about our collective treatment of the earth. As kids who love the planet grow up and become scientists and engineers, I think we as a population will be kinder and kinder to the earth. Hopefully, that dog will have better parasites in the near future.

5 comments:

  1. I have always been fond of Native American folklore, which warned us of what could occur if we should not be grateful for all our mother earth has done for us. I notice that, slowly, we are beginning to take care, and to take responsibility for what we have done. I only hope it isn't too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only wish I had proof read a little more thoroughly....off not of....rats!!
    I hope you are right about the next generation being more responsible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right, STG. The next gens know better and are being raised to be more eco-smart. None of this info was even around when we were kids. We played with mercury and had asbestos and lead all around us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in agreement with Nellie. Except I'm pretty sure it's too little too damn late.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of George Carlin "The earth will shake us off like a bad case of fleas!"

    ReplyDelete